JEPS are grouped according to the area and component taxonomy used in the JEP Process. On this page a JEP number links directly to the cited JEP document, while a JEP title links to the corresponding short summary below.
A summary of the changes to this list over time is available at the bottom of this page.
./configure-style) build setup, refactor the Makefiles to remove recursion, and leverage JEP 139: Enhance javac to Improve Build Speed.
javax.scriptAPI, and also more generally via a new command-line tool.
com.sun.*types and other types shipped with the JDK that are outside of the Java SE specification. These contracts and potential evolution policies should be clearly captured both in the source code of the types and in the resulting class files. This information can be modeled with JDK-specific annotation types.
javacommand-line launcher to launch JavaFX applications.
javax.toolsAPI to provide access to javadoc.
apttool, associated API, and documentation from the JDK.
java.util.Arraysthat use the JSR 166 Fork/Join parallelism common pool to provide sorting of arrays in parallel.
javax.lang.model.*API backed by core reflection rather than by
javac. In other words, provide an alternate API to access and process the reflective information about loaded classes provided by core reflection.
ForkJoinPoolimprovements, and additional
java.text.DecimalFormat.formatby taking advantage of numerical properties of integer and floating-point arithmetic to accelerate cases with two or three digits after the decimal point.
java.util.HashMapunder high hash-collision conditions by using balanced trees rather than linked lists to store map entries. Implement the same improvement in the
- 103 Parallel Array Sorting — Targeted to M5
- 127 Improve Locale Data Packaging — Targeted to M5
- 150 JSR 310: Date and Time API — Targeted to M6
- 121 Stronger Algorithms for Password-Based Encryption — Retargeted to M5
- 129 NSA Suite B Cryptographic Algorithms — Retargeted to M5
- 133 Unicode 6.2 — Retargeted to M5
- 103 Parallel Array Sorting — Retargeted to M6
- 110 New HTTP Client — Retargeted to M6
- 111 Additional Unicode Constructs for Regular Expressions — Dropped
- 112 Charset Implementation Improvements — Retargeted to M4
- 119 javax.lang.model Implementation Backed by Core Reflection — Retargeted to M6
- 136 Enhanced Verification Errors — Targeted to M5
- 140 Limited doPrivileged — Retargeted to M6
- 138 Autoconf-Based Build System — Targeted to M6
- 142 Reduce Cache Contention on Specified Fields — Targeted to M6
- 143 Improve Contended Locking — Targeted to M6
- 147 Reduce Class Metadata Footprint — Targeted to M6
- 148 Small VM — Targeted to M6
- 149 Reduce Core-Library Memory Usage — Targeted to M6
- 155 Concurrency Updates (jsr166e) — Targeted to M6
- 161 Compact Profiles — Targeted to M6
- 162 Prepare for Modularization — Targeted to M6
- 165 Compiler Control — Targeted to M6
- 166 Overhaul JKS-JCEKS-PKCS12 Keystores — Targeted to M6
- 170 JDBC 4.2 — Targeted to M6
- 171 Fence Intrinsics — Targeted to M6
- 172 DocLint — Targeted to M6
- 108 Collections Enhancements from Third-Party Libraries — Dropped
- 110 New HTTP Client — Dropped
- 156 G1 GC: Reduce need for full GCs — Dropped
- 107 Bulk Data Operations for Collections — Retargeted to M7
- 123 Configurable Secure Random-Number Generation — Retargeted to M7
- 155 Concurrency Updates — Retargeted to M7
- 171 Fence Intrinsics — Retargeted to M7
- 164 Leverage CPU Instructions for AES Cryptography — Targeted to M6
- 173 Retire Some Rarely-Used GC Combinations — Targeted to M6
- 101 Generalized Target-Type Inference — Retargeted to M7
- 109 Enhance Core Libraries with Lambda — Retargeted to M7
- 118 Access to Parameter Names at Runtime — Retargeted to M7
- 119 javax.lang.model Implementation Backed by Core Reflection — Retargeted to M7
- 120 Repeating Annotations — Retargeted to M7
- 126 Lambda Expressions & Virtual Extension Methods — Retargeted to M7
- 140 Limited doPrivileged — Retargeted to M7
- 161 Compact Profiles — Retargeted to M7
- 104 Annotations on Java Types — Retargeted to M7
- 115 AEAD CipherSuites — Retargeted to M7
- 162 Prepare for Modularization — Retargeted to M7
- 143 Improve Contended Locking — Dropped
- 165 Compiler Control — Dropped
- 176 Mechanical Checking of Caller-Sensitive Methods — Targeted to M7
- 177 Optimize java.text.DecimalFormat.format — Targeted to M5
- 178 Statically-Linked JNI Libraries — Targeted to M7
- 179 Document JDK API Support and Stability — Targeted to M7
- 180 Handle Frequent HashMap Collisions with Balanced Trees — Targeted to M7
- 184 HTTP URL Permissions — Targeted to M7